Sparkle is an easy-to-use software update framework for Cocoa developers.
But this little framework's got a lot of features packed inside! Check 'em out:
- True self-updating--no work required from the user.
- Uses appcasts for release information.
- Displays release notes to the user via WebKit.
- The user can choose to automatically download and install all updates.
- Displays a detailed progress window to the user.
- Seamless integration - there's no mention of Sparkle; your icons and app name are used.
- Supports authentication for installing in secure locations.
- Supports DSA signatures for ultra-secure updates.
- Really, really easy to install.
- Sparkle requires no code in your app, so it's trivial to upgrade or remove the module.
New in Sparkle 1.8:
- Up-to-date with 10.10 SDK and Xcode 6. Supports OS X 10.7+.
- Cleaned up and modernized code, using ARC and Autolayout.
- Truly automatic background updates (no UI at all) when user agreed to automatic updates.
- Ability to mark updates as critical.
- Progress and status notifications for the host app.
- Name of finish_installation.app can be configured to match your app's name.
- Merged bugfixes, security fixes and some features from multiple Sparkle forks.
- Tons of other stuff!
With Sparkle, you're in good company. Here are just a few of the hundreds of apps which use Sparkle: