Sparkle is an easy-to-use software update framework for Cocoa developers.
But this little framework's got a lot of features packed inside! Check 'em out:
- True self-updating--no work required from the user.
- Uses appcasts for release information.
- Displays release notes to the user via WebKit.
- The user can choose to automatically download and install all updates.
- Displays a detailed progress window to the user.
- Seamless integration - there's no mention of Sparkle; your icons and app name are used.
- Supports authentication for installing in secure locations.
- Supports DSA signatures for ultra-secure updates.
- Really, really easy to install.
- Sparkle requires no code in your app, so it's trivial to upgrade or remove the module.
New in Sparkle 1.5:
- Optionally sends user demographic information to the server when checking for updates.
- Supports bundles, preference panes, plugins, and other non-.app software.
- Dual-mode garbage collection support for any memory management style.
- Supports branches due to minimum OS version requirements.
- Sparkle doesn't bug the user until second launch for better first impressions.
- Deep delegate support to make Sparkle work exactly as you need.
- Sparkle can install .pkg files for more complicated products.
- Tons of other stuff!
With Sparkle, you're in good company. Here are just a few of the hundreds of apps which use Sparkle: